18 May 2022
This week we speak to award-winning freelance finance journalist and communications consultant Charlotte Moore. We discuss how the media covers finance and investing, things asset managers tend to get wrong and right with their communications, and how the changing media landscape impacts the industry. We finish with an array of top communications tips from a media expert that listeners won’t want to miss.
- How the media covers investing:
- What does it tend to get right
- What does it get wrong
- Charlotte's observations on asset managers general communications to members and savers
- Reflections on the media environment generally (end of print mags, social media, substack rise of podcasts) – is financial journalism still relevant and why?
- How Charlotte sees financial journalism evolving
- Is it true that we’re all media businesses now and if so what are some of the unappreciated lessons of that for asset managers and investors
- Journalistic best practice hints and tips for better outcomes
What's one thing to take away?
When you write, pretend you are a journalist.
Journalists always ask – so what, why bothering, why me, now. Giving some interesting insight, perspective, take a look at the “man bites dog” theory of writing.
Always write with the target audience in mind and think about what their problem is that your solution fixes. Have a structure when you write: problem/solution. Be hypercritical. Avoid adjectives. And lastly, try and do all communications like a news story – check out the news pyramid style.
What's the most underappreciated thing about investing?
The complexity and psychology involved in investing.
How to access our podcasts
You can access all our podcasts across all major audio platforms via computer or devices.
Each LCP investment uncut podcast is for information and marketing purposes only and does not constitute any form of investment or financial advice or a financial promotion (under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000). All views expressed by the podcast hosts and guests are purely their own opinions and do not represent those of LCP, its clients or affiliates. Our podcast listeners should always seek independent financial or legal advice before making any financial or investment decisions. Please refer to the Legal Notices section on the LCP website for further information.