11 May 2022
This week we’re joined by Deb Clarke. These days, Deb is a NED following a long career in the City spanning asset management and fund research. We discuss what Deb thinks the consulting and fund management industry have got right and wrong over the years. We dive into some of her principles for fund research, as well as some of her worst research meetings. We talk about some of the most important and underrated questions to ask fund managers and things managers do wrong. We also cover principles for investing in general and thoughts on fund research in today’s world.
Whether you’re a consultant, asset manager, or fund investor, we think you’ll take a lot of useful insight from this great conversation.
Looking back over Deb’s time in investment we ask: what do you think were some of the most important trends of the last few decades?
- Deb shares her thoughts on what consultants have got right, and what they have got wrong
- What fund managers have got right and what wrong
- Deb discusses key principles when it comes to undertaking fund research, and covers important things that go a little under the radar when it comes to fund research
- We cover Deb’s guiding principles and ideas for investing in general and how we should think about manager selection in the current environment
- Finally, we cover what Deb is looking at over the next 12 months
What's one thing to take away?
The investment industry has a real purpose – helping people retire well. It's important we have a stronger sense of purpose and share that more clearly with potential recruits to the industry.
What's the most underappreciated thing about investing?
It’s tough - it can be seen as glamorous, but the reality is that you don’t get all decisions right, in fact, a very large number of decisions will turn out to be wrong.
How to access our podcasts
You can access all our podcasts across all major audio platforms via computer or devices.
Each LCP investment uncut podcast is for information and marketing purposes only and does not constitute any form of investment or financial advice or a financial promotion (under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000). All views expressed by the podcast hosts and guests are purely their own opinions and do not represent those of LCP, its clients or affiliates. Our podcast listeners should always seek independent financial or legal advice before making any financial or investment decisions. Please refer to the Legal Notices section on the LCP website for further information.